Function: noun
Date: 1644
1 often capitalized : an adherent of the parliament in opposition to the
king during the English Civil War
2 : an expert in the rules and usages of a deliberative assembly (as a
parliament)
3 : a member of a parliament

please note item # 2

the term is a "british" origin with a history of over 350 years

ken stubbs
p.s. frankly the council using someone like this should be an absolute  last
resort and i don't think it is necessary at this point either. i have
absolute confidence that this kind of situation will not be allowed to occur
in the future.