Re: [council] Agenda for GA meeting, Santiago Chile

Javier

You may have misunderstood my message.
I am perfectly aware that the Names Council get to vote.  I repeat, for your clarification, that my remark concerns your authority to decide what the DNSO may discuss. The GA does not get to vote but was created so that all in the community may contribute and be heard. I suggested that the  NC would do well to listen to the wishes of the General Assembly as the NC role is to measure consensus in the community. It is also te case that many GA participants also belong to the constituencies represented by the NC members.

To clarify my position on the time scale of the GA.  I believe it should be an all-day meeting but on hearing the logistical problems raised by ICANN staff, agreed to pass their message back to those pushing for a longer time scale. If a little extra time can be found at the end of the day, that it fine witih me.

I will not respond to the unfortunate and unhelpful accusations you make against the ccTLD constituency.

Fay

At 02:31 PM 8/17/99 +0200, you wrote:

>>> The DNSO does not discuss the DNSO chair. The chair is elected by the NC.
>
>>Surely, it is not for you or the NC to decide what the DNSO discusses.
>The GA
>>is entitled to debate this issue whether it gets a vote or not and a good NC
>>would be listenting to that debate not silencing it.
>
>The bylaws state how the DNSO works, and it is very clear that the NC
>decides about the Chair of the DNSO.

>There is no reason I can see for the ccTLD constituency to try to push
>otherwise, except trying to have the GA push for a Chair that the ccTLDs

>want elected, because they believe that the NC will not elect him and hope
>that a push from the GA will... I really think that this is not a good line
>of discussion, please do not force it.

I could not possibly force this discussion as I have no idea what you are referring to.  The ccTLD constituency has no objective here but to have an properly assembled GA which debates all areas of policy with a Names Council that measures consensus in that community.