[council] August 2, 17:00 CET -- 12 votes received (from 18 max)

Council,

Amadeu already explained why the NC is rushing -- the calendar
for the WG-A was set from the ICANN Board calendar:
    step N    August 26 -- ICANN BoD meeting
    step N-1  August 5 (August 26 - 21 days for public comments sent
              to the www.icann.org website) -- deadline for
              the NC to ICANN forwarding
    step N-2  August 4 (few hours -- few days would be better)
              for the NC to summarize votes and comments added to votes
    step N-3  should be July 31, was postponed to August 2
              -- deadline for the NC vote
    step N-4  week between July 26 and July 30 to summarize
              public comments sent to the www.dnso.org
              and produce the document for vote by WG-A co-chairs
    step N-5  2 weeks for public comments sent to the www.dnso.org website
              (it was between July 11 and July 25)

The CALENDAR for June-November 1999 was posted on the website
in the mid of June and certainly before the meetings in San Jose
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/calendardnso.html
I quote the initial dead lines (for WG-A only):

  ||   June 11th, 1999
  ||         Creation of Working Group A (done).
  ||   July 7th, 1999
  ||         Working Group A presents its report and it is published in the
  ||         DNSO website for public comment.
  ||   July 24th, 1999
  ||         Closing of comment period on Working Group A report.
  ||   July 26th or 27th, 1999 (circa)
  ||         Meeting(s) of the Names Council to decide on the final report
  ||         that will be sent to the ICANN Board on Conflict Resolution
  ||         Policy. Details for these meeting(s) will be decided on June
  ||         25th.
  ||   July 31st, 1999
  ||         Report on Dispute Resolution Policy sent to the ICANN
  ||         Board.

Probably the secretariat should have summarize it and send a reminder
every week since mid July -- I take it for WG-D plan for every
next text to vote.

>From this first vote experience I also take the following:
  - state clearly that the voting ballot will come From: voteNN@dnso.org
    (even if this was very well understood by some
     from ga@dnso.org or announce@dnso.org who tried to vote
     -- it get bounced, of course)
  - remind the NC that the email address from the electorale list
    is indeed very important
  - avoid to vote during the weekend

The main document for ICANN and its Supporting Organizations
(http://www.icann.org/bylaws-09apr99.html,
ICANN Bylaws as Revised May 27, 1999),
ARTICLE VI-B, Section 2, i, states:

   (d) If two-thirds (2/3) of the members of the NC determine
       that the DNSO process has produced a community consensus,
       that consensus position shall be forwarded to the
       Board as a consensus recommendation, along with all
       materials or other information that could reasonably
       be relevant to the Board's review of that determination,
       including (but not limited to) the dissenting statement(s) of
       any member(s) of the NC. If more than one-half (1/2)
       but less than two-thirds (2/3) of the members of the NC
       determine that the DNSO process has produced a
       community consensus, that position may be forwarded to
       the Board as a NC recommendation, along with statements
       of majority and minority views, and any separate or
       dissenting statement(s) of any member(s) of the NC.
       Any proposed recommendation that is not supported by
       an affirmative vote of one-half (1/2) of the members
       of the NC may be returned to the body from which
       it originated, or may be assigned to a new body,
       for further work. In such a case, the NC may report
       to the board the lack of a consensus and the steps,
       if any, it plans to take from this point forward with
       respect to this particular recommendation. The NC is
       responsible for ensuring that the Board is informed
       of any significant implementation or operational
       concerns expressed by any responsible party.

As of August 2, 17:00 we received 12 votes (from 18 max).
I hope that the ICANN will accept we extend by 24 hours.

| Electorate list -- 18 persons
| -----------------------------
| [     ] Europe () - Fay Howard fay@ripe.net  (ccTLDC)
| [     ] Africa (.gh) - Nii Quaynor quaynor@ghana.com  (ccTLDC)